Compiling Livecode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 12 11:25:34 EDT 2019

David Bovill wrote:

 >> On 09/03/2019 Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >>     David Bovill wrote:
 >>      > No one using docker?
 >>
 >>     https://hub.docker.com/r/techstrategies/livecode/
 >
 > I tried that and have it hosted somewhere. By the way who is / are
 > "techstrategies".

That's the "ts" in "tsNet", Charles Warwick's Brisbane-based company who
made the powerful networking external now bundled with proprietary
editions of LiveCode.

 > What I'm looking for is more of how to run integrate Livecode into a
 > future looking devops environment - so using docker on the testing
 > and development side. That's what we use with other platforms and
 > languages - so just wondering... I want to know how Livecode would fit
 > into a future with docker and webassembly and so forth rather than
 > simply what
 > works now.
 >
 > Anyone else experimenting in this direction?

Not a lot of devops folks on this list.

I sit through sessions at my local Linux User Group with envy for all
the fun tools my colleagues get to play with, but as interesting as they
are I'm finding my modest needs well addressed with simple VMs.  And
with VPSes so cheap these days, I find myself with more Linux containers
  than I have tasks to deploy on them.  Things are running well enough
for the simple systems that make up my day job that Docker sits in a bin
with LXD, Juju, Kubernetes, and other cool things that I'm keen to learn
but haven't yet made time for.  I envy those with large-scale, complex
deployments, but I have to admit I'm not one of them.

My use cases isn't interesting in itself, but as part of the dearth of
devops folks here represents a chickens-and-eggs challenge for LC
evangelism:

As scripting languages go, LC is as capable as Ruby, Python, and many
others.  There is no across-the-board "best" among them, each with their
own trade-offs, and LC's chunk expressions make it a good choice for a
wide range of even faceless tasks.

When we combine that with the unparalleled integration of GUI elements
in the language for client-side work, the benefits of LC for server work
become as apparent as using Linux on the client, having one system that
lets us move code on either side of the network as needs change, without
having to rewrite in an entirely different language.

So one might think LC would make an ideal companion to the other
languages hanging on a devops toolbelt.

But I find many devops folks believe the user experience exists only in
web browser applications, and have little interest in net-savvy native
apps, at least on desktop.

Odd, of course, given how this is opposite the mobile trend.  But even
with mobile, most enterprises seems to favor web deployment for their
bespoke systems rather than native.

The irony there, which us LC folks recognize instantly, is that many UIs
can be built much faster in LC, and being dedicated they usually provide
a much better, more focused user experience than limiting everything to
the confines of a browser window.

If more enterprise folks were familiar with the benefits of LC, they'd
be using it for their internal apps.

But of course enterprise folks won't generally adopt a technology until
they see critical mass usage already in place.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems