Go in Window on Mobile / Not Obeying Purge?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 1 10:37:14 EST 2019

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 >... although all my modules/stacks have both "purge stack/window" set
 > to true, I am seeing change on stacks that are  "closed" when you
 > reopen them again.
 >
 > Thus, it means that Purge stack/window  is not implemented on
 >
 > Go [new-stack] in window of stack [old-stack] on mobile.
 >
 > Can anyone confirm? I wonder how long the RAM can keep up before it
 > crashes.

Personally that seems like a bug to me.  Maybe worth reporting.  The
manner in which a stack is closed shouldn't matter with regard to how
destroyStack works.

But just to clarify, the stack in question is a separate stack file, and
not a substack of the one you're going to, yes?

Remember that LC keeps the entire stack file in RAM, and can't purge it
until the mainstack and all substacks within the stack file are closed.

If it is purgeable (as a separate stack file), my hunch is you won't
ever see a RAM issue from caching.  If you do it would be a bug.
Caching is intended to speed up access, not to prevent ordinary
behavior, so things not in use are purged as RAM is needed (same with
cached images and other things).

If you're seeing slow or crashing behavior that seems like it might be
RAM-related, maybe Apple's Instruments tool in xCode can help provide
clarity on that:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/71237/how-to-identify-cpu-and-memory-usage-per-process-on-iphone

--
  Richard Gaskin