LC905rc1 Standalone Weirdness with External Stacks

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Fri Jun 28 14:50:57 EDT 2019

On 6/28/2019 2:08 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Paul Dupuis wrote:
>
> > We have an app we're porting to LC9 (currently doing internal beta
> > builds under LC9.0.5rc1) that we're seeing some weirdness when
> > external stacks are opened by the standalone.
> >
> > This is happening under OSX. We've not seen it (so far) under Windows,
> > but most of our initial QA testing is done under OSX.
> >
> > When the standalone opens the external stack (which could be in an
> > older stack file format), when the mouse is in the external stack
> > window, LiveCode thinks the mouse is about 30-40 pixels ABOVE where
> > the mouse actual is.
> >
> > It does not happen in the main stack or substacks of the standalone,
> > just in external stacks and, worse, it is intermittent, which means
> > making a recipe to report the bug to LiveCode, Ltd, difficult.
>
> - macOS only
> - shifting vertically only
> - by what sounds like the height of a menu bar group
>
> I would check the menuBar property of those stacks.
>
> Also, generally better when doing layout stuff to work with card
> coordinates rather than stack coordinates, as the latter may be
> shorter than the former if a menuBar group is active on macOS.

Thank you for the tip - an OSX menubar setting sounds like a likely culprit.

There are some of the HyperRESEARCH tool stacks that sometime exhibit
this behavior - not always though. The stacks in question have been
edited and save from under a version of LC9.0.x and this is showing up
in LC9.0.5rc1. The oddity is that it did not show up in the shift from
LC4.6.4 to LC6.7.11 but is now appearing under LC9.0.x - also, no one
noticed it in any internal betas under LC9.0.0, 9.0.1, or 9.0.4 (we
skipped 9.0.2 and 9.0.3). Also, frustratingly, it is not reproducible,
but is definitely LiveCode.

Once it happens, it is consistently shifted for that session. Switching
to any 3rd party app (or the Finder) and the mouse is where you expect
it. Moving to a window of a built in to the standalone stack (the Study
Window or Codebook, etc.) and the mouse is where you expect it to be.

I suspect it is a bug in 9.0.5rc-1, but pinning down a recipe for a test
stack is difficult.