source of a socket error message

Douglas Ruisaard dougr at telus.net
Fri Jul 19 15:10:09 EDT 2019

I *REALLY* appreciate the responses!  Beyond where (exactly) LC actually generates this message (I can see it in the LC executable in a large "look-up" table), I was hoping I could find it in a "read-able" script so I could trace the logic.

I'm trying NOT to exceed the scope of a subject related to this list-group and do not expect an actual solution to the issue.  By the way, there REALLY are 5,000+ installations of the remote LC app spread all across the province of Ontario... which, if you're unfamiliar with Canada is worth look at on a map to see the geographic distribution "scope".  It's taken over 10 years to implement that number of sites for the very large medical information provider I contract to.

That's why Bob's "heebie jeebies" comment is SO relevant!  But, to wrap up the "story"... my ultimate goal, in regard to this request, is to avoid "allowing" my customer to dismiss the issues (which occur on a regular but erratic basis) as a remote ISP/DNS cause ... if at all possible.  I'd like them to exhaust any in-house possibilities or causes before they (and I) concede that the events are beyond their control or influence.  By eliminating any possibility that the connection issues are LC-related, I can honestly push the problem back into the customer's lap.

I will request that they now "map" even some of the affected sites with regard to the remote sites' ISP's.  One other relevant piece of information.. when this situation occurs... only a small percentage of the connecting sites are affected.  In the last incident (a few days ago)... over 1,000 site successfully connected in the same 1 hour time-window as the 50 site which exhibited the error!  "Normally" (however), any 1 hour period of time has fewer than 5 sites which may have encounter this "can't resolve hostname" error... THAT's acceptable... 50 in 1 hour is NOT.

Again.. thanks so much ... as always I can depend on this group for a very informed and helpful set of responses.

Cheers!

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935