Time-outs in LC Server?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 18 18:55:52 EDT 2019

You should never use 'send in time' or 'wait with messages' in LCServer.

Each http request starts up your LC server script anew - and you need
that request to be handled and the server-instance shut down as quickly
as possible. And the next http request will start up another, entirely
separate, instance; so you need to be storing some status info between
requests.

If a user doesn't do anything on the site for a few minutes, then you
can use a flow something (vaguely) like :

(at start of the script):

  - check if user is logged in (if not, prompt them to login / register
/ ...)

  - check a database entry for when they were last active (up to you
whether that's per-user, per user/per-IP address, or per-some-cookie, or
...)

  - if time-since-last-action is too long - log them out, and as
appropriate, either
       a.  apologise :-), and go to login screen
       b. return a "not logged in" error

  - if it is still within time, then update the "last active" database entry

  - then do the rest of the current request

Alex.