Should I forget HC? Honestly?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 06:52:16 EST 2019

I learnt a lot from HyperCard in 1993 . . . when watching my 6 month
year old son.

However, my son is now working his way towards his 27th birthday, and
does not need
the sort of attention from me that he needed then.

LiveCode IS, to all intents and purposes, HyperCard, in much the same
way as my son, Alexander
is to all intents and purposes the baby he was 26 years ago. However,
LiveCode, like my son,
has got the odd extra skill it has acquired in those 26 years.

There is NO need to "make HC great again" because Kevin Miller and his
band of very clever people
have already done that.

What 'facilitating Hypercard by means of an LC-app' means I just don't know.

If my son gets married and fathers a child, I may have to cope with
"HyperCard" again,
but, as I have LiveCode I will gladly hand the grandchild over to my son
having made the
culturally appropriate "oohs and aahs".

What possible advantage could there possibly be from reviving a
hobby-horse (progenitor of the
bicycle that had no pedals) when one can pop down the road and buy a
bicycle with upward of 15 gears,
a sprung saddle and a decent lamp on the front?

Someone, who has not sat down and thought things through carefully comes
up with
a "HyperCard Revived" posting about once every 2 years . . .

I got out a machine I have that runs Hypercard and felt very, very sad
running the thing as, frankly,
after about 18 years of exposure to LiveCode (that's about 3 times as
long as my exposure to HyperCard),
HyperCard looked pathetic; and, with the vision of hindsight it is;
while when it was "the thang" it was revolutionary.

Richmond.