Displaying or identifying emoji

Stephen MacLean smaclean at madmansoft.com
Wed Jan 23 09:15:13 EST 2019

Hi David,

Looks like you are running into some of the same issues I had when learning to work with them…

You say you are importing them? From where? A text file or DB?

Make sure that the encoding is set to UTF-8 or higher when you import. Next, you need to textDecode() them, again making sure that encoding matches.

One MAJOR caveat that I ran into with using mySQL. After opening the connection, you need to add the following code to fore the connection to unicode:

## Set utf8mb4

revExecuteSQL tDatabaseID, "SET NAMES 'utf8mb4'"

Or whatever your encoding is on that table. Otherwise it will default to ascii and you will get those characters.

Also, depending on the emoji, it may be 1 codepoint or many. Use the keyword “word” when finding, etc.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Steve MacLean