screensChanged ? (was Re: screenRect and screenLoc weirdness)

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Jan 14 08:22:56 EST 2019

Related to this: is there any possibility of getting a "screensChanged"
message? I work on multi-monitor setups all the time, and have not been
bothered by the issue with screenRects because they've always told the truth
relative to each other.

However, the problem is that my set-up changes multiple times a day. Mostly
it's taking my laptop in and out of meetings, so switching from one
multi-monitor set-up to single monitor; but sometimes I'm plugging it into a
meeting room screen, and sometimes mirroring, and sometimes I end up with the
three screens.

Many apps (including, to some extent, the LiveCode IDE) respond when this
happens. But my own apps can't unless I specifically ask them to.

AFAICT there is no message stacks can get to tell them to get the screenRects
again and take another look. Could there be a "screensChanged" or similar? (Or
we could even overload "orientationChanged" for this purpose, although that
would be probably be an error.)

Ben