Refactoring is your friend / moving from 6.x to 9.x

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jan 4 03:42:01 EST 2019

On 2019-01-04 07:40, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Read through this whole thread, optimistic that I'd find the list of
> things that differentiate v6 and v9 so we can hone in on actual
> solutions.
>
> I learned two things:
>
>  - lock/unlock changed

Except it hasn't - lock/unlock screen work the same as they always have
- they nest.

Differences since 5 however, include:

   - rendering was changed to use Skia
   - support for Retina displays was added (4x as many pixels to render
on more modern Macs)
   - screen updates only happen once per command execution and only if
necessary (if the screen is unlocked)

As suggested in another post, I suspect Malte's speed difference was
actually caused by over-unlocking (or interaction with a slightly wrong
IDE script in the 5 IDE - assuming he was timing in the IDE) and the
fact that Retina macs have 4x as many pixels to render (5.x did not do
Retina resolution). Of course, the latter is making the assumption that
Malte has a Retina mac...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps