Refactoring is your friend / moving from 6.x to 9.x

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Thu Jan 3 13:47:46 EST 2019

Bob:

 > This is largely due to unicode support in everything,
 > as I understand it.

Nope, I think that was more of a prior assumption going in, and held
onto despite test results to the contrary, than a conclusion derived
from testing. :)

Some tests were designed to rule out the effects of text to the maximum
extent possible, so slowdowns were almost certainly (or if so, should
not be) the result of unicode. And some text features maintained or
gained speed despite unicode. So whatever part it played, there's much
more to the story.

As I say, tests are repeatable; there will be nothing left to difference
of opinion or chance. I tested an RC of 902 with the same old slow
results. Soon when I have a chance, I will test 902 final. Whenever an
LC version comes along with significant improvements, I'll be all over
it and make the tests extremely public. Not the case so far, we're still
in the speed limit zone AFAIK!

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development