Refactoring is your friend / moving from 6.x to 9.x

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Wed Jan 2 03:17:00 EST 2019

Malte,

I think the info you were probably looking for is buried within the dictionary entry for the “lockScreen” Property, maybe this should be referenced a little better in the dictionary entries for “lock screen” and “unlock screen”, see below:

LiveCode keeps count of how many times the screen has been locked. You must balance each unlock with a lock; if you lock the screen twice and then unlock it once, the screen remains locked. For example, the following pair of handlers draws everything while the display is still locked:

on mouseUp
    lock screen    -- first lock
    drawStuff      -- gets locked again and unlocked in drawStuff
    show image "Sprite"
    unlock screen  -- now unlocked - 2 locks balanced by 2 unlocks
end mouseUp

on drawStuff
    lock screen    -- screen now locked twice
    show field "Notify"
    unlock screen  -- not unlocked yet - locked twice, unlocked once
end drawStuff

Paul