Windows Standalone Performance

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 11 03:47:31 EST 2019

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > Just wanted to give a heads up on what I think is the greatest Windows
 > Standalone performance killer.
..
 > On a Mac, for whatever reason, the performance hit was insignificant.
 > On WINDOWS however, it became painfully clear to me that the
 > performance penalty was VERY substantial! I can watch the folder
 > containing the standalone stacks, see the temp files being created,
 > one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi, around 4
 > misssissippi the temp file goes away.

Assuming similar storage specs, it may be that Windows is inherently
slower than Unix (possibly), or maybe LC less optimized there (likely).

But such a dramatic difference with that specific evidence merits
another test.

Windows Explorer definitely has a longer default period between
automatic directory listings than the macOS Finder.  You can see it in
many contexts.

Maybe better would be to set the cursor to watch on save, and time that.

Better still might be to time the milliseconds from the beginning of the
save until after the OS returns control to your script when it's done.

I suspect you'll still see a difference, but not nearly as dramatic as
the slower refresh rates in the file manager UI.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems