Fonts on Android

Dan Friedman dan at clearvisiontech.com
Wed Aug 28 10:39:58 EDT 2019

Ralph,

The font came from Google Fonts (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Barlow).  I would think its ok.

FWIW... I am just looking for a Helvetica-like font.  I have my project set to the default fonts "(system)".  But it looks like crap on Android!  So, I'm just looking for something that will look good and render correctly.  I will need a regular, bold and italic.

-Dan

On 8/28/19, 5:34 AM, "Ralph DiMola" <rdimola at evergreeninfo.net> wrote:

    >After running FontInfo(), I see this:
    >
    >*Barlow Bold
    >bold
    >*Barlow Regular
    >Plain

    What I would have expected is:
    *Barlow
    bold
    plain

    Then it would work as expected.

    >When I set the font of my stack to "Barlow", everything (bold or not) comes up as Barlow Bold.
    >When I set the font of my stack to "Barlow Regular", everything (bold or not) comes up as Barlow Regular.

    This is because the OS is seeing these as 2 different fonts.
    Are the results of FontInfo() on the IDE or the Android device?

    I have seen oddities like this when the internal font name is wrong/inconsistent or (for example)the regular version was created at a later date and the original name was "Barlow bold" and there was no other option than to name the new plain font to "Barlow regular". This would not allow them to operate as a family.

    Ralph DiMola
    IT Director
    Evergreen Information Services
    rdimola at evergreeninfo.net

    Thank you for the reply.  But, I don’t see how this helps.  I have two fonts:

    Barlow-Bold.ttf
    Barlow-Regular.ttf

    After running FontInfo(), I see this:

    *Barlow Bold
    bold
    *Barlow Regular
    plain

    When I set the font of my stack to "Barlow", everything (bold or not) comes up as Barlow Bold.
    When I set the font of my stack to "Barlow Regular", everything (bold or not) comes up as Barlow Regular.

    Only thing I can think to do is to run thought EVERY object in my project and set the textFont of that control to "Barlow Bold" or "Barlow Regular".  Then there's text fields with mixed text...  Do I run through every text field and change the font of all bold text?   There has to be a way to map "Barlow Regular" to plain text, and "Barlow Bold" to bold text.  I must be missing something.

    -Dan