Unicode is not "everywhere"...

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Aug 22 20:53:43 EDT 2019

I just want it consistent and documented and able to return more than
just ASCII data

Currently, OSX shell returns UTF8 which may mean that it is returning
binary as it is returning 8-bit bytes where Unicode text has been
encoded as UTF8

Windows returns CP1252 text, not binary and any Unicode results, which
DOS displays as Unicode just fine, can be returned without elaborate
work-arounds.

That by definition is a bug.

I would advocate that shell should return binary data. Text being
returned should be UTF8 encoded, that way people expecting ASCII do nto
need to o anything, they can just work with teh returned text. People
expecting Unicode can use textDecode to get the UTF8 converted to LC
native 16-bit Unicode, and people extcting binary can use the byte chunk
to process what comes back however they want.

The current missing part is the UTF8 encoding of text being returned
under Windows.

Also, as my platforms of concern are Windows and OSX, I have not tested
shell() under Linux. I assume it behaves like OSX but that is an assumption.