How does OSX tell what app to open when you double click a file?

Pi Digital sean at pidigital.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 06:06:13 EDT 2019

2cents:

I do almost the exact same thing with LC and have older versions. The same thing for adobe after effects. The really fun (phun) top weird thing that happens is using cmd-space and typing “liv” or “aft” and having pot luck which one appears at the top of the list and launches if I press the return key. That sort of thing can drive you mildly loopy sometimes. Especially when you carry on typing to make it “live” or “after” and the order swaps round! It twists your mind wondering what’s going on there.

But the same is true of double click. You assume that either whichever you last used or the latest would load. But that is not always the case. There often ‘seems’ no rhyme or reason. Maybe Apple are just trying to train us to be more deliberate and decisive :-/ (in which case they are failing).

Sean Cole
Pi Digital Prod Ltd