How does OSX tell what app to open when you double click a file?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue Aug 6 17:59:41 EDT 2019

Actually, this issue is that some of our users keep multiple versions of
our App installed. In most cases, when the user double clicks a document
from our app, the MOST RECENTLY INSTALLED version launches, but in some
cases, and older version launches.

In those instances where an older version launches, the user swears that
they have never used "Open With" or done anything (that they are aware
of) to set the default app for our document extension to an older version.

So really, I am just trying to understand how OSX figure out how to
determine what app to open for a document.

For example, if you drag installed 5 apps, APP1, 2, 3, etc, that all had
a info.plist defintion for a .xyz file extension onto a virgin OSX
system out of the box and then double-clicked a .wyz file, which of the
5 would open?