Help with an algorithm...

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Aug 5 16:28:02 EDT 2019

I'm a great fan of, and user of, arrays - but we always need to be
careful of losing data with duplicated keys.

You haven't said that the parent names in LISTNEW are guaranteed to be
unique. This simple code assumes they are - if they're not, it's easy to
add a check ...  (And it also assumes the inputs are properly formatted!!)

(inputs are in fields "FNew" and "FOld", output in field "FOut")

on mouseUp
    local tOld, tNew, tOut
    local tA
    local tLastParent

    put the text of fld "FNew" into tNew
    repeat for each line L in tNew  -- convert to array
       if L begins with space then -- a child
          put L &CR after tA[tLastParent]
       else
          put L into tLastParent
       end if
    end repeat

    put the text of fld "FOld" into tOld
    put empty into tLastParent
    repeat for each line L in tOld
       if L begins with space then -- a child
          if (tLastParent is not empty) \
                 AND (L is not among the lines of tA[tLastParent]) then
             put L &CR after tA[tLastParent]
          end if
       else
          if L is among the keys of tA then -- a Parent we need to deal with
             put L into tLastParent
          else
             put empty into tLastParent
          end if