Weighted distribution of Numbers

Douglas Ruisaard dougr at telus.net
Mon Aug 5 11:50:41 EDT 2019

Ralph:
Although several persons have responded... most far above my "pay-scale" ... Your mention of the audio taper rang bell for me.  In the process of simulating an analog audio potentiometer using a digital one... I needed to find a formula for an inverse audio taper... and it DID take a math professor to finally provide a solution:

      kx - 1 + sqrt((1 - kx)^2 + 4kx^2)

  y = ---------------------------------

                   2kx

Now referencing the potentiometer "model"...
"x" is the amount of "rotation" .. from near zero (since dividing by zero is verboten) to 100%.. i.e. 360 degrees (which a real analog pot never actually achieves.
"k" is the "weight" factor ... increasing "k" increases the "severity" of the taper ... more or less flattening the higher range which, in turn, causing the "higher" rotation values to have less differentiated output values
"y" is the output ... in the case of a pot, the resistance

When I look at the graph of this function using a "k" value of 5 and above, I *thinK* it starts to simulate your desired mapping.

Hope this helps ... quadratic formulae are NOT my thing.  Your mission is to fit this formula into you app and data set

Cheers!
Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935