Challenge: who can background this shell command?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Aug 1 11:27:13 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-01 17:12, David Bovill via use-livecode wrote:
> OK - so I have it working by writing to a temporary file.
>
> Trying to redirect the output to stdout - so that shell() return the
> information of the background process - but this freezes:

Okay so given you want to read/write to the process you launched it
seems...

What's wrong with open process? The *only* difference between open
process
on macOS compared to Linux (and Windows) is that if you try and open
process
an app-bundle (i.e. something ending with '.app') it will do the same as
launch (as .app bundles aren't executables).

The installer uses open (elevated) process to communicate with an
instance
of itself with elevated permissions. You can see the code for that here:

<https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/builder/installer_utilities.livecodescript>

The key routines are installerRun and installerMonitor (the latter is
used
to poll every 20 milliseconds to check if the child process has anything
say).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps