Launching a cli server as background process in OSX

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 07:49:21 EDT 2019

Thanks everyone - Mark - it's not an issue with accessing hugo from shell -
get shell ("hugo server") works fine - it just blocks as the server process
keeps running as it should do - so I want to background it.

Richard - yes I've tried that. In fact I tried all these different
techniques to the best of my ability:

   - *put shell ("hugo server")*
   - *put shell ("hugo server &")*
   - *get shell ("nohup hugo server >&/dev/null")*
   - *get shell ("screen hugo server")*

*I've tried various combinations of this in a bash script:*

#!/bin/bash
> hugo server
> wait
> echo "All processes done!"

   - *get shell ("bash bg_hugo_server.sh")*
   - *open* process "bash bg_hugo_server.sh"
   - *launch "bg_hugo_server.sh"*

It's something over the years I've had a go at several times. Always
assumed there would be some way of doing it - so I spent half a day trying
to no joy. I guess the question comes down to:

   - How do you nackground a persistant shell process in Livecode on OSX
   (and other platforms)?

I'll try and get a simple test scenario...

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 at 03:16, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <