Open Printing to PDF

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Apr 23 14:24:24 EDT 2019

This may help to clean up all kinds of badness in text used for a number of things:

function cleanASCII pString, pModeList, pCustomList
   /*
   pModeList is a comma delimited list that may contain the following values:
   "lowercase,uppercase,numbers,tabs,newlines,returns,spaces,symbols,custom"
   If custom is used, then a third paramaeter containing allowed characters must be supplied.
   sample: put cleanASCII("This is a test!<>?", "uppercase,lowercase", "?"
   returns: "This is a test?"
   */
   if pModeList is empty then
      put " 0-9a-zA-Z" into tAllowedChars
   end if

   repeat for each item pMode in pModeList
      put word 1 of pMode into pMode

      switch
            break
         case "tabs" is in pMode
            put "\t" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "newlines" is in pMode
            put "\n" before tAllowedChars
            break
         case "returns" is in pMode
            put "\r" before tAllowedChars -- currently not working
            break
         case "spaces" is in pMode
            put " " after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "numbers" is in pMode
            put "0-9" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "lowercase" is in pMode
            put "a-z" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "uppercase" is in pMode
            put "A-Z" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "symbols" is in pMode
            put "!#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@[\\_`{|}~^-" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case pMode is "custom"
            put pCustomList after tAllowedChars
            break
      end switch
   end repeat

   put "[" & tAllowedChars & "]" into tMatchText

   repeat for each character  theChar in pString
      if matchtext(theChar, tMatchText) is true then
         put theChar after cleanString
      end if
   end repeat

   return cleanString