Re: Upcoming MacOS 14.5 with software “notarization” requirements

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Tue Apr 16 03:03:24 EDT 2019

Richmond:

 > The frightening thing about this is that Microsoft produce a
 > fairly shoddy product, and as Linux has signally failed to
 > displace Microsoft from world dominator, it will become
 > ever worse and shoddier without any healthy competition.

So the only scary thing about Apple doing something potentially
problematic is merely that it might make someone with shaky faith
consider Microsoft? That seems to overlook the tiny step of considering
the potentially problematic thing itself!

The Apple evangelism "cult" included memes using blackhat PR tricks and
cognitive hacks. It's too fun to resist - go ahead and try the shoe on
the other foot for once:

"Ah, having trouble with your Mac again? Yeah, that's what I love about
Windows - everything just works!" :D

Which is very often true in either direction, depending on the
particular trouble being experienced. In reality each OS has its
annoyances. Personally I have no dog in the race - I started with
Mac-first dev because of their excellent HIG research and principles
which they would later abandon. Then switched to Win-first dev when
Apple fled that previous research for a more "lickable" look, causing
Windows UI to became more efficient and user-friendly for my own computing.

If Apple were to embrace consistent scientific HIG again and let up a
bit on the obsessive control, hard-on-the-eye schemes, and planned
obsolescence, I'd be tempted to go back to Mac-first. I use both
Operating Systems and find an equal amount of enjoyment in providing
solutions for both!

BTW, I've already seen an LC app undergo notarization successfully, so
not to worry; there will be a system in place for this particular hurdle
just as with everything else.

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development