LC Server on OSX Mojave - Local host & sites

Rick Harrison harrison at all-auctions.com
Wed Apr 3 10:09:58 EDT 2019

Hi Keith,

Unfortunately, Apple, Inc. has really screwed us over with the removal of
website control in their newest version of macOS Server.  All they gave us
was the macOS-Server-Service-Migration-Guide.pdf which says very little
about the most important things like SSL under Mojave. To quote:

“1. The virtual hosts won’t be behind a reverse proxy; they’ll be listening on
standard HTTP ports unless configured otherwise.
2. The SSL certificates will reside in the System.keychain, not in the file system.
3. The SSL processing will be managed by Apple’s mod_secure_transport
plug-in for Apache, not by mod_ssl.”

They give very little in the way of instructions, and instead show a bunch of diff files
that show the differences between the configuration files under old macOS Server
and the way they should look for Mojave.

I managed to work my way through the document making all the changes, and
got LC Server to work too!  (I thought that would be a the hard part.  I was
wrong to make that assumption.)

When it was time to get my SSL I found I was unable to get it to work, so
I thought I would hire an experienced Sectigo SSL guy to do it.  Perhaps
he would succeed where I had failed since they do these things all the time.
The guy tried 3 times on 3 different days.  He failed, and told me that I would
have to call Apple Support about the matter.  I tried to see if he would call
them for me as this problem impacts their business more severely, but he
wouldn’t do it.  They did agree to refund my SSL Installation Service money,
which I appreciated.

When I called Apple, Inc. support, they bumped the problem up by
three levels and then told me they would have to bump it up yet
another level.  They wanted $700 to work on the problem!  This is a
problem they have caused, and they expect me to pay that much
for a fix?  Really?  I told them I would keep it in mind as a last resort.

I tried to look for other solutions.  I looked at VirtualHostX and thought
I would try a letsencrypt.org SSL Certificate just in case there was
something wrong with my Sectigo SSL Certificate.  I was able to
get my SSL working with that, but VirtualHostX sets up a Virtual Debian Linux
computer inside of my Mac. Emulation slows down the computer and
I thought there must still be a pure macOS solution out there.

I decided to give MAMP Pro a try. That didn’t work either!  When I contacted
their support people they said:

 "MAMP PRO is mostly intended for local development mostly. You can
use it as a live server if you would like, but we cannot provide support
for this. At this time we don' have a how-to on setting up a
letsencrypt ssl key. If you cannot get this working, and this is
why you purchased MAMP PRO, to use it as a live server, then we
can offer you a refund.”

That has put me back to square one.

If anyone can work through the SSL problem and get it working under
macOS 10.14.4 Mojave, I would be happy to help out getting LC
Server to work.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Rick