Sorting search results - solution needed

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Oct 23 16:58:16 EDT 2018

Come to think of it no. I didn't notice the items further down in the list with multiple periods. Your problems is very basic: You really have alpha-numeric data, which you are trying to sort numerically. It's a contradiction in terms.

Looking at the nature of your data, and assuming your data is not going to deviate from what you have provided, you have to break out the components of your values into three separate values, the integer portion (if any otherwise 0), the decimal portion (if any otherwise 0) and the alphanumeric portion (assuming that *ALWAYS* comes last).

But evn then, I see:
>> 10187
>>
>> 187c
>>
>> 18700

That's not alphanumerically sorted, nor is it numerically sorted! It's a non-sort!

Bob S