Safari vs Browser Widget

Andre Alves Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Fri Nov 30 04:53:27 EST 2018

Dan,

I am not expert in the widget but I do know quite a lot about browsers.
Those APIs are restricted access API which usually require some sort of
configuration on the browser library you're using when building your
product, which is a convoluted way to say that LiveCode HQ proabably
needs to set something on libbrowser for this to work out of the box.

I have checked the LC source code and found that the browser
initialization depends on some factory called `MCBrowserFactoryRef`
which is an abstraction on the browser engine being used. In your macOS
case, I don't know if it is using CEF or WebKit but it if is CEF then
there is a "enable-media-stream" argument that is usually passed via
command-line parameters but in our case it probably need to be passed
via `t_args` in the calls to `CefExecuteProcess()`. I am sure there is a
corresponding WebKit thing to do but I am not sure what.

These kind of switches are needed because Camera APIs are sensitive and
can lead to privacy abuse and security exploits, so they tend to be
disabled by default unless configured or asken for permission. In case
of embeddable browser libraries, they usually lack the UI elements to
ask for permission, so in their case it is is usually something you
configure in code.

You might ask HQ to add the CEF param as a property for the widget. It
might be easy to add.