SSL with HTTPD Library?

Andre Alves Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sat Nov 10 06:09:06 EST 2018

Aloha Swami and all,

That "speed penality" is not theoretical at all. It is very real and the
reason why most of the cutting-edge web ecosystem moved away from CGI.
The main technical appeal of NodeJS, WSGI, OpenResty, and others is that
they are FAST, non-blocking and don't require new process spawning for
each connection.

The one reason we don't notice this problem in our work and in most of
the work our community does is that we're not working in the scale where
it becomes a problem. We don't have enough users to make process
spawning an issue. But, that is a problem at scale, a very real problem
and it is very easy to quantify once you measure the amount of requests
per seconds you're able to handle, there is a point where you can't
handle as much requests as you need to make your web service responsive
and thats when such issues become very real.

There are mitigations with the modern web patterns such as PWAs which
will cache most of the front-end stuff onto the client thus making the
server load much lighter if you have recurring users.

Yes, RevIgniter is wonderful and LC Server is quite nice tool too, I
really like them both and they have a use case which is very clear, but
don't believe that just because it works for our scale, that the
problems of larger players are theoretical. Also, people paying for
servers based on CPU usage can benefit a lot from other approaches as
smaller servers can handle larger loads.

Cheers

andre