Informal survey: multiple desktops

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Tue May 1 19:15:00 EDT 2018

On 04/30/2018 11:43 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Now that Windows, Mac, and Linux all offer multiple desktop, I'm
> curious: do you folks use them?
>
> FWIW here's how I often work: I tend to open my email client and web
> browser in workspace 1, then LC on workspace 2.  Spaces 3 and 4 tend to
> get used ad hoc when there's something I need to focus on, like having
> another instance of LC, or a graphics tool, etc.  This is on Ubuntu,
> though lately I've started using multiple desktops on Windows as well.
>
> I would be interested in learning how you folks use your desktops, and
> which OS you're on.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

I recently switched from openSUSE to Antergos, but it's still Linux and
still KDE Plasma5 as my DE. Always multiple desktops and like you, a
couple dedicated ones and a couple freelance desktops.

I have window rules that will send particular app windows to particular
desktops regardless of where I am when they are opened. Depending on
what the window manager allows, this could be a way to avoid the
inconvenience that Mark Wieder mentions.

I did have the same kind of issues that Ralph DiMola mentions with some
Livecode stuff showing up on all desktops, but it was a long time ago
and I can't remember if it was under KDE4 or Gnome 2. I don't see this
any more under Linux and KDE.

Warren