Issues with storage of data in stack

Mark Talluto mark at canelasoftware.com
Thu Mar 22 19:28:57 EDT 2018

Hi Lagi,

Sorry about the delayed reply. I have been on a long business trip. Your early designs are far more sophisticated than what we put together here. Super impressive history you have.

LiveCode really is the champion here in that we are only using arrayEncode() and put myArrayA into url() to store the arrays. Selecting which array cluster to store might be easier to understand using a video.

http://canelasoftware.com/pub/canela/liveCode_array_clustering.mp4

Once you understand how the array is structured, I think the method will be clear.

We do not preallocate space. No appending. We overwrite a cluster when one or more records are saved to disk. The write happens at the end of the CRUD operation taking place. Thus, if you ‘create’ a single record, the record is first created in memory and then the cluster it belongs to is written to disk. I have toyed with the idea of making the write to disk feature controllable by the dev. Thus, you could define when the write is to take place. For example, you might like to write to disk after every 5 transactions or so. But, I have not found the write to affect performance in a noticeable way to need to add that feature.

-Multi User-
Yes, everything is processed sequentially in the cloud. There are no open sockets so you can have massive concurrent connections. All cloud calls are done via ‘post’. They are handled by PHP scripts to write the request to a cache area. One or more LiveCode standalones on the other end processes the request in the order they are received. Thus, should a process go down, no data is lost. When the process comes a back up, everything continues again as normal. Scale is handled by having more than one process be available. More scaling is handled by having data stored across multiple droplets/VMs (sharding). This can keep repeating itself as needed.

-File Size Limitations-
The OS iNode limitations are negated by not reaching its maximum limit. We found 40,000 files would really bring the performance down. Adding clustering of arrays lowers the file count to acceptable and controllable levels.

-Test Data-
100,000 records in table
Record size average: 45 chars
Keys in each record: last_name, first_name, date_of_birth, middle_name, student_number, gender, grade_level, active

A cluster size, clusters per table, time to load all clusters from disk to RAM, time to write all clusters from RAM to disk, time to write one cluster from RAM to disk:
1, 16, 1.46 secs, 1.5 secs, 91.4 ms
2, 256, 1.52 secs, 1.5 secs, 6.7 ms
3, 4096, 2.38 secs, 1.6 secs, 0.8 ms

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>
nursenotes.net <http://nursenotes.net/>