Sparkle anybody?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Mar 8 16:53:51 EST 2018

I don’t think this is OT - I suppose it depends on your point of view.

Sparkle is a framework for providing update logic to Mac Apps (this is my take on it anyway). I know Trevor has kind of incorporated into Levure, but the commitment to understanding and working with Levure is too heavy for me, I think. It’s supposed to be easy to integrate Sparkle into your app (no coding!), but it turns out, only if you speak XCode, as the baldest explanations of its use assume that the reader is deep into Apple’s way of doing things.

So is it curtains for us LC coders - I mean is there no alternative to a massive technical self-education effort to use this stuff, where one might at the end crash and burn anyway? It would be sad, because it seems so far from “everyone can code”. Yes, I can, but I am constantly being thumped by deployment issues like this.

Thoughts, anyone?

Graham