Sort IP List

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:35:29 EDT 2018

## was writing this when your response showed up..
Just did some tests.  For reasonable size lists of IP numbers, your method
is clearly faster. As lines increase the disparity shrinks (due to 4
processings of the same lines rather than 1) until around 35000 lines at
which point positions reverse and the disparity grows in favor of the
function(each) method.

After just a bit more testing, the fastest method (for anything over 20000
lines) is to run through the whole list first converting it to numeric and
then do a single simple sort, but that leaves you with a straight list of
numbers that would then have to be re-divided into triads, so the post
processing needed kills the whole idea.

As for your response,
Yes  the function is called by sort for each line and returns the numbers
to use to give that line its sort value.  It isn't as fast as I had hoped
most likely because it has to call a function for each line in the list.
With the first method I posted, on my machine, the crossover point is right
around 35000 lines (at least on my system, at 35000 lines it takes 475
millisec to 612 millisec vs the 4xsort)   At 200,000 lines the disparity
grows to over 3 seconds difference, but i'm unsure what max length list
might be reasonably expected.  The 4 sort method is by far the simplest to
code and is plenty fast for list under 100000.
The nicest part of your method is that if processing a huge list, its easy
to give visual feedback between each sort if need be.  But again, all this
is likely moot unless the ip list is huge.