Dark Mode in macOS Mojave, any thoughts from the mothership?

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Thu Jun 14 23:42:14 EDT 2018

> On 15 Jun 2018, at 12:05 pm, Brian Milby via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> I'm also interested to see what they have to say.  I do like the dark look
> (that is how I have Atom configured and the SE in LiveCode too).
>
> With property inheritance, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement for
> elements within the stack.  This is the kind of thing that the profile
> manager would be good at managing, but it may be better to separate out the
> position and "theme" elements.  If you had small/large portrait/landscape
> then you would go from 4 to 8 profiles to handle light/dark as well.  As a
> developer, we would just need the messages telling us when the user changed
> the mode.  I'm not sure how much work it will be in the IDE/Engine itself
> though.

We haven’t yet got a system with it running on yet. If anyone does (Colin?) we would be interested in any reports regarding dark mode or anything else. We get default colors from the OS via NSColor class methods so hopefully things will just work for the most part. Obviously where a user has set a color then that’s going to be an issue. I presume there’s appropriate NSApplication methods to determine the current theme. Perhaps either Trevor or Paul can be convinced to put stuff for that in their mac extensions in the short term.

Cheers

Monte