Optimization can be tricky

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jun 12 16:54:05 EDT 2018

Then there's something about Geoff's problem (or problem statement) that
I don't understand.

What on earth is in those records for sorting a mere 2000 of them to be
noticable? (I had thought he had to be talking about magnitudes more
lines than that).

LC (9.0) sorts 20,000 lines of >1000 chars each in 65ms or so, on my
aging MacBook Pro. So the delay can't be the sort - it must be in the
extracting of the data from the arrays into his 'candidateList'.

It would be good to get that clarified before we spend more time
optimizing the wrong thing :-)

Alex.