Best practise approach for artwork for iOS and Android?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jun 12 16:44:50 EDT 2018

Just one thing to add here based on what Trevor mentioned - these are images which you have complete control over so...

If you can upscale them (perhaps using the tool Lagi suggests) with a good degree of visual improvement then you can use the multi-resolution aware feature of referenced (filename) image objects to improve the display of your images on high resolution screens.

Modern devices have screens which are 2-3x the dpi of screens we have lived with for decades - so more pixel data means better quality display.

When you use the filename property such as 'foo.png' the image object will look for images which have name 'foo@<n>x.png' first where x is 1,1.5,2 or 4 based on the number of device pixels available. E.g. On a 2x retina device - it will look for the 2x image and fit it to the logical (the rect) size.

Note: the base size is taken from the 1x image size and the file actually used is based on the 'effective scale' of the total transform from image text to device pixels - so the dpi setting in the images don't matter and it's much more competent than just using the type of screen.

TL;DR: if you can find a tool which can upscale your images acceptably to 2x or even 4x - do so - keep the original
image as foo.png and the upscale ones as foo at 2x/4x.png and set the filename of the image with foo.png. The engine should do the rest (from the using as much as it can pixel data wise at least point of view).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone