ANN: *** targetSdkVersion requirements Android ***

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jul 27 19:12:34 EDT 2018

Because before you can have a cross platform anything (which is tied to specific OS features) you need the things to call which perform the appropriate action on the individual platforms.

The patterns for 'getting user consent' on android and iOS are similar (because they are both about 'getting user consent') but not identical.

The immediate issue is android so we implement that now.

It may or may not be useful on iOS - that is yet to be determined.

If it is then we add iphoneRequestPermission...

And then mobileRequestPermission can be an LCS handler which maps whatever universal permission groups exist from universal names to platform specific names.

The bit which must be in a lower level language at present goes in the engine - the bit which doesn't need to be, goes in LCS.

Platform dependent stuff has to be done from the bottom up to have any chance of being correct (essentially) - and it's better to expose the lower level features that build cross platform support and build the cross platform aspect in a language where iteration to get it right is far far easier (i.e. LCS). [ And, indeed more accessible to anyone who knows LCS ].

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Given that requesting user permissions is a UI interaction the overhead of LCS here is entirely irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone