Crazy script-only stack question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jan 26 15:42:10 EST 2018

On 1/26/18 1:11 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 01/23/2018 01:15 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>> On 1/23/18 12:27 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
>>> @JLG I thought with "breaktpoint" you could debug SOS behaviors
>>
>> I haven't actually tried that yet. It would be more difficult to avoid
>> debugging when you just want to run the stack normally but would be
>> better than nothing. I suppose you'd need to remember to remove all
>> the breakpoint commands from the SOS files at some point. Have you
>> tried it yet?
>>

> I can't say anything definitive about the Business-level remote
> debugging mechanism, but I can say that with PowerDebug you can ship a
> standalone app with breakpoints intact without problems. Breakpoints
> have (almost) no effect in standalone apps unless there is a debugger
> waiting around to catch the traceBreak etc messages. (The 'almost' in
> that sentence is because each invocation of a breakpoint command will
> issue a traceBreak message, but the effect is the same as dispatching
> any message that doesn't get handled, and is too small to be measured.
> Since the built-in remote debugger works in a similar fashion over a
> socket connection, I can't imagine there would be any difference.

The deal is, if the standalone is anywhere near a running copy of the
IDE, remote debugging will kick in and stop the script (assuming the
"breakpoint" command works as expected.) To avoid that, you'd need to
either quit LC, or restart it and refuse the remote connection.

If you're just using red-dot breakpoints then it isn't as difficult to
remove them, you can just use the "remove all breakpoints" menu item.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com