Crazy script-only stack question

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Fri Jan 26 14:11:14 EST 2018

On 01/23/2018 01:15 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> On 1/23/18 12:27 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
>> @JLG I thought with "breaktpoint" you could debug SOS behaviors
>
> I haven't actually tried that yet. It would be more difficult to avoid
> debugging when you just want to run the stack normally but would be
> better than nothing. I suppose you'd need to remember to remove all the
> breakpoint commands from the SOS files at some point. Have you tried it
> yet?

I can't say anything definitive about the Business-level remote
debugging mechanism, but I can say that with PowerDebug you can ship a
standalone app with breakpoints intact without problems. Breakpoints
have (almost) no effect in standalone apps unless there is a debugger
waiting around to catch the traceBreak etc messages. (The 'almost' in
that sentence is because each invocation of a breakpoint command will
issue a traceBreak message, but the effect is the same as dispatching
any message that doesn't get handled, and is too small to be measured.
Since the built-in remote debugger works in a similar fashion over a
socket connection, I can't imagine there would be any difference.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com