How I learned to love and use auto quotes & parentheses with LC 9 DP11

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Sun Jan 21 09:08:52 EST 2018

Maybe I am the last person to know this but if you don't this may be helpful.

I was getting frustrated with the new feature that automatically puts the
end quote when you type the initial  quote.

It works fine if you are typing the initial quote first and then the text
contained within the quote.
i.e. if I wanted to type myCleverFunction("my string")

when I type

  myCleverFunction(

script editor would complete the parentheses  to give you

   myCleverFunction()

with the cursor between the parentheses.

Then when I type an initial quote and I would get

myCleverFunction("")

with my cursor between the quotes so I could type the text in the quotes. So
that works great.

What would drive me nuts was if I had to go back in a line of script after
it had been typed and add quotes or parentheses around some text already
there.

If I typed an initial quote I would get this:

 ""put in quotes

Instead of what I wanted:

 "put in quotes

So I would have to delete one of the quotes then put my cursor at the end of
the string and type the quote and again get this.

 "put in quotes""

Again I have to delete one of the quotes.

Then by accident I found how you are actually supposed to do it.

Select the text  'put in quotes' then type the quote and the quotes will be
put at the beginning and end of the selection.

The same works for open parenthesis '(' and open square bracket '['.

That saves a keystroke and some mousing around to get the second quote
insertion point over the old way with out the auto complete.

I did a quick search but could not find this in the documentation so thought
I would post that epiphany here.

Happy quoting.

Martin Koob