Identifying empty lines of text

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Wed Jan 17 10:59:38 EST 2018

I have a simple function which will return a string with all non-allowed characters stripped from it.

function cleanASCII pString, pModeList, pCustomList
   /*
   pModeList is a comma delimited list that may contain the following values:
   "lowercase,uppercase,numbers,tabs,newlines,returns,spaces,symbols,custom"
   If custom is used, then a third paramaeter containing allowed characters must be supplied.
   */
   if pModeList is empty then
      put " 0-9a-zA-Z" into tAllowedChars
   end if

   repeat for each item pMode in pModeList
      put word 1 of pMode into pMode

      switch
            break
         case "tabs" is in pMode
            put "\t" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "newlines" is in pMode
            put "\n" before tAllowedChars
            break
         case "returns" is in pMode
            put "\r" before tAllowedChars -- currently not working
            break
         case "spaces" is in pMode
            put " " after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "numbers" is in pMode
            put "0-9" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "lowercase" is in pMode
            put "a-z" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "uppercase" is in pMode
            put "A-Z" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "symbols" is in pMode
            put "!#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@[\\_`{|}~^-" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case pMode is "custom"
            put pCustomList after tAllowedChars
            break
      end switch
   end repeat

   put "[" & tAllowedChars & "]" into tMatchText

   repeat for each character  theChar in pString
      if matchtext(theChar, tMatchText) is true then
         put theChar after cleanString
      end if
   end repeat

   return cleanString