use-livecode Digest, Vol 172, Issue 22

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jan 16 06:25:32 EST 2018

On 2018-01-11 20:50, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Richard Burkett wrote:
> Nice, but not as nice as:
>
>   copy
>
> I appreciate that we have the flexibility to do arcane things with the
> Clipboard when needed, but shouldn't the copy command handle the most
> common cases without requiring new users to research and experiment in
> the hope of arriving at the above block of code?

Indeed - the copy command should.

The fact the above can now be written in LiveCode Script means it is
much easier to work out how to make the copy command 'do the right
thing'.

Indeed, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to seriously consider
implementing most clipboard functionality in script - based around the
raw clipboard support we have (the clipboardData / fullClipboardData are
both implemented in terms of the raw clipboard in the engine).

The main missing piece at the moment is the ability to bind the syntax
to said script handlers, rather than internal C++ engine methods.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps