Uninstaller question

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Jan 2 17:34:46 EST 2018

Thanks Rick for replying. I’m sticking to the original thread here.

The thing is, there are different classes of users: developers / nerds (I guess many on this list count as some species of those - I know I do); people who want to “just do it”; and a lot of categories in between. In  my experience, teachers, even science teachers, don’t want to know anything about such details as how to install, uninstall or update a program - they just want to use it. So the kind of thing you’re suggesting, while making perfect sense to you and me, will not work for the “just do it” brigade, who are not even be likely to read any helpful text with ‘clear instructions’ unless they’re truly desperate. I concede that most Mac users know about putting applications in the trash, but if the app they’ve just binned leaves behind preferences, application support files and the like, they will neither know nor care.

So it’s for these kinds of users that I want create an uninstaller - and, presuming the uninstaller has the sense to notice when there’s nothing to uninstall, I will even attach it to the installation process of my app, so at least there will only be one version in the user’s machine at a time. There will also of course have to be a standalone version, for those that really want the app to vanish without trace rather than be reinstalled.

The truth is I don’t exactly know what happens when you put an app in the trash, but I can’t believe all traces of the program are gone in all circumstances. I know even less about how well a PC’s Control Panel uninstall works, but I suppose I will eventually have to find out.

Cheers

Graham

PS Mac Keeper and Mac Cleaner are indeed at the very least annoying (but probably much worse than that). CleanMyMac however, seems to be to have an honourable history and has never caused me any problems: but YMMV.