widget properties

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Sun Feb 25 16:45:36 EST 2018

> On 26 Feb 2018, at 2:57 am, Ali Lloyd via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> The trick is to ensure that the VCS use-case
> can be extricated.

I think probably the VCS use-case is a non-issue right now. I’m not sure if anyone is still using lcVCS but script only stacks + stackFiles with no scripts is significantly simpler to deal with. Either way export object covers that better.

> If we have export for all object types, there's no
> reason (other than backwards compatibility) that the properties property
> couldn't return the value of every single gettable property of an object
> type.

Yes there is. If we include all the different forms of text for example (htmlText, text, rtfText, styledText) then we have to have even more complicated precedence rules than we currently do when setting.

I would suggest if we can look at all the metadata we need in the IDE about an object property and provide a way to access as much of that as possible by introspecting the object most people would be happy regardless of whether we provide an array prop to get and set it in one hit. Just about all the data is there already in the property tables.

Cheers

Monte