Help needed / corrupted application stack after quit through splash stack

R.H. roland.huettmann at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 17:26:23 EST 2018

<i>Using Indy 8.1.9 desktop standalone without encryption (same problem
with earlier versions and community version), Windows 7, 8, 10, different
machines and different users of a large company.</i>

Before filing a bug report or sending a help request, maybe there is a help
here...

This is an urgent question as it is highly critical for the in-house
distribution of this LiveCode application to the sales team of a large
company right now.

I can not really reproduce the problem using my own machine, but it
happened on my machine, on other peoples machines, more or less often.

I developed the app using the splash stack method (small login stack that
is made to be a standalone and actual application stack in a subfolder
called). It works. At least for all users when opening the first time.

Problems appear when opening the app through the splash screen login stack
a second time after quitting. The compiled LiveCode engine of the splash
stack often enough cannot find the application stack any longer because it
is corrupted.

Analyzing the situation, I think, it seems to be a problem quitting the
standalone app resulting in a corrupt application stack (the splash screen
standalone is not affected).

In case of corruption of the application stack, I then find two visible
files in the subfolder with the original filename of the application stack,
one shows a tilde "̃̃˜" at the end of the filename (an indication of
corruption).

Currently, I do not know how to generate a detailed error report for such
standalone. I have a friend who experiences this problem each time, and
each time he wants to use my app, he then takes a fresh copy that is good
only for a 1-time-usage ))).

The quit command is sent from the application stack.

Here are the handlers in the application stack:

on closeStack
    saveAndQuit
    pass closeStack /* goes to splash stack, engine ... tested with and
without. */
end closeStack

command saveAndQuit
   lock cursor /* Tested with and without locking and showing cursor */
   set the cursor to watch
   save this stack /* auto save, takes a long time, between 10-30 secs */
   wait 100 milliseconds with messages /* does it help? Probably not. */
   unlock cursor /* Testing with or without*/
   lock messages /* Force quit. Tested with and without. */
   quit /* Should quit safely and not corrupt the stack, but stack
sometimes is corrupted */
end saveAndQuit

Any suggestions I highly appreciated.

Thanks to all