Features and shortcomings of html5

hh hh at hyperhh.de
Tue Feb 20 21:09:42 EST 2018

> JLG wrote:
> The examples I've seen are mostly basic, usually just a one-card stack with image
> or graphic manipulations.

What examples if not mine (and the few I link to) did you see? Would be very glad to know
some more.

> The stack  I will be working with will require many cards, navigation, and possibly
> changing stacks (probably in the same window.)

So you didn't even try the basic ones for that. There is also ...

1. ... "TerminalZero". Compile it with the version you want and you have a simple tool
to test what works and what doesn't work in that version.
2. ... "Navigation" for card deletion/creating example (with use of several fonts).
3. ... "Video-Fun" for using sound/video.
4. ... "Do as JavaScript" in case your methods are too slow for HTML5 or not yet implemented.
5. ... "FetchURL" for simplest networking.
6. ... "Oriented Text" for testing how an embedded widget works.

If the probably in "probably in the same window" is not 100% then you may be lost.

Most of the examples are from the LC 8.0 times where HTML5 deployment was "very"
experimental (what makes them "basic"). They especially show now, to which part the speed
improvement is due to the improved browser you use and not to LC.
Currently Safari is in general best, Firefox and Chrome are next, then Opera (which is in
turn best with special things).
A time-execution factor of up to 10 between them is not unusual. And Internet explorer and
Edge don't work at all with HTML5 standalones.

> What else would I need to consider?

1. Start with searching LiveCode-Quality-Control-Center for "HTML5".
2. Start with using a card full of buttons, text fields and other controls you need.
3. Measure the execution time of your core routines in several browsers/OSes.

Then optimize or work around-
Hope you'll share soon your great collection of advanced (working) HTML5 examples.