any tricks to make SHELL non blocking?

Stephen Barncard stephen at barncard.com
Tue Feb 6 15:03:15 EST 2018

Mike Bonner:  I'll try the Open Process suggestion you made - again with
more syntax variations this time. thanks!

Dr Hawkins - I don't have control over the name of the CD source file..

1 Audio Track.aiff

the OS demuxes the data on the CD and gives them generic names.
surely there must be a way to encapsulate URL strings properly to use
spaces and hyphens.  Do I have to add the escapes manually using lookups
and exceptions?

the folder names are no big deal to fix, but I've got a library of hundreds
of shows where I already use hyphens and have been successfully imported..

Dr Hawkins:  when you say "escape spaces" do you mean something like

\%20

or

\[actual space char]

  ?

I only care about this working on Macs, by the way.
This is just an ugly thing that saves me time in a huge archive project.
The UI sucks, but it's all just for me.
This "app" I've created allows me to save keystrokes in the process of:

0. assign a name to the performance, type in a field (I avoid spaces but
there are hyphens - I could use underscores I guess but they look so ugly -
perhaps I can 'get away' with those on a mac.
1. taking a picture of the CD, cover and contents and saving as a file
 (using oss imagesnap and a webcam)
     (I would have used a flatbed scanner but I couldn't find a useable oss
executable and scanning and loading is slower )
2. importing the first CD file after it is inserted, converting it to WAV
from AIF, and saving it with with the chosen name. (using ffmpeg)
3. create a folder with the chosen names and put the like named files (
with .png and .wav suffixes ) in that folder. (using Livecode)

metadata (like song titles) could be put into a .txt file in that folder
later. I plan a bot that will send samples to a Grace Note like service to
harvest song titles.

My idea is that the file structure and meta ARE the database and a data
listing could be created from that structure 'just in time'. This is
important in an archive that is rapidly getting added to or changed (like
filenames !!) and makes more sense to me that having to enter and update a
separate database. The archive is limited enough in items that speed is not
an issue.

this has taken the process from taking three separate apps (including the
dreaded iTunes and Photobooth?? ) and dozens of clicks, cut and paste names
etc.) and lots of typing to a single entity where I only have to enter that
name ONCE. And iTunes import and convert took 10 minutes for a 60 minute
piece - whereas ffmpeg takes only 2:15.   I can do a turnaround within 4
minutes now.

thanks for the tip on quotes and backquotes.

but like I said, the commands do work when I don't try to  release control
to the calling script after the external executable is started.

The lack of being able to do this is NOT a show stopper. Livecode has been
able to let me create this monster kluge in very little development time
and it works.

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 8:25 AM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <