Refactoring is your friend / moving from 6.x to 9.x

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:38:10 EST 2018

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:58 AM Andre Alves Garzia via use-livecode <

> I wish we had better refactoring tools
> so that we could rename a handler and all code that called that handler
> was fixed, or stuff such as rename variable...

One of the reasons I like experimenting with different environments is to
see what advantages they have. One advantage that FileMaker Pro has had for
25 years, is that all references to tables, fields, and layouts, are based
on underlying unique IDs. Meaning that if you rename something, the
underlying reference ID doesn't change, and anywhere the reference occurs,
the name change is reflected automatically. Obviously this would require
significant effort to work in any text-file-based system, but it has always
amazed me that I have never seen this feature replicated elsewhere.