Musings on Architect, MVC, Nested Behaviors

Brian Milby brian at milby7.com
Thu Dec 27 23:13:55 EST 2018

Part of the reason is that it is a “script only stack” and as soon as you start adding other things it is no longer script only.  If you need to store other things, then why not just use a binary stack file?  Version control... use ScriptTracker (or some other method of script export that allows it).  If you want to version control those other properties, then a more general solution would be warranted (like Monte’s work).

I’ve briefly looked at the load/save code and think that it would be doable to extend the export code from just covering widgets to covering entire stack files.  That would yield a regular array that could be exported as YAML, XML, JSON or some other format that would be Git compatible.  (Only real issue is ID conflict resolution on import - my take would be to allow the developer to specify merge, replace, skip, or deconflict ID.)

This solution would allow a dev to export the stack, remove the keys they don’t want saved, and create a file with these properties that can be loaded at runtime.  The script itself would be left separate and the other properties would be merged.  Of course this can be done now in pieces.  But if import was in the engine and you didn’t need to version control the individual properties, it would be a one liner to import a LSON property file.

Thanks,
Brian