What do we know about LC 10?

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Thu Aug 30 17:42:13 EDT 2018

I wonder if Open Language will get some attention..

It was on the Road Map in 2014.

https://livecode.com/the-present-and-future-livecode/
>Open Language: With the core refactoring almost complete (LiveCode 7.0)
we’ve started to turn our attention
>to the final aspect of this project which is to open up the language for
extension by anyone. We have been
>prototyping for quite some time now and plans are in place to move this
project forward at a rapid pace once
>LiveCode 7.0 is released. We will complete network, socket and database
libraries with easy to use English like
>syntax as part of the development and testing of this feature. This is
currently slated as one half of our next >major release, currently
imaginatively named “8.0”.

There was a long thread about it in Oct 2015 in the forums "What is Open
Language."

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2015-October/220332.html

Did Open Language just serve as the foundation for Widgets or was there a
more substantial feature in the roadmap?

>Theme / Widgets: Another important prototype we’ve invested time in is
codenamed “Widgets”. Our aim is to
>provide a means for any LiveCode developer to extend the control set. This
builds on “Open Language” making
>it possible for any developer to extend the language and the UI. While
still in its infancy, we are really excited
>about the results which will make LiveCode 8.0 a groundbreaking release.

I thought it would something that would allow developers to extend the
language using more english like form rather than just using a function with
parameters.

i.e.  instead of using a call like this.

AWSS3GetPresignedURL(pBucket,pObject,pExpires)

You could extend the language allowing the parser to understand something
like

Get AWS3 PresignedURL for [tObject] in [tBucket] expiring in [tTime]
[seconds|milliseconds|minutes]

LiveCode has been gaining many features but the code gets less and less
English like and less readable.  It would be great if the big mystery behind
the LiveCode 10 banner is a way to get back as much as possible to following
the principle of human readable code.

Martin

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote