Android permissions

panagiotis merakos merakosp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 17:23:53 EDT 2018

Hello Jacque,

Currently all the commands/functions that do stuff which will require
special permissions will trigger the permission dialog automatically.

Then only exception is commands/functions that exist in a LCB library.
Currently the only example that falls into this category is the Android
Audio Recorder Library. So before you call <androidRecorderStartRecording>,
you have to explicitly ask for permission to record audio, so you'll need
to call <androidRequestPermission "android.permission.RECORD_AUDIO">.

The same holds for LCB libraries that we might add in the future, or for
any other APIs you might have wrapped in LCB using FFI, i.e. you have to
explicitly ask for any special permissions.

*>>>>>>>Also, should I check a permission before every usage to be sure
it's enabled? Or do I get an error message?*
If the app tries to do something that requires permission X for the first
time, a dialog will be shown asking for permission X. If the user chooses
to not grant permission X, the dialog will be shown again next time the app
tries to do something that requires permission X, I think the dialog has a
checkbox "Do not ask me again". So in this case, it might be useful to add
a check if permission X has been granted, and if not, show an appropriate
message.

Hope this helps,
Panos
--

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 11:22 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <