Surprise...

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Mon Aug 20 17:03:13 EDT 2018

Hey Folks,

Of course I'm interested in this thread. Always a big concern. Earlier
this year, and last year, I was doing face-off competitions between
LiveCode versions to test how optimization is faring.

When I get time, after some other priorities and addon updates, I would
like to do another round of cross-version testing to see who is the
current champion. (IIRC, I think 6.7 was last time, for Windows.)

Meanwhile....

jbv:

 > the same data on LC 6.5.2 desktop Mac, and arrays run 20% faster
 > than items... On LC9 server I get opposite results : items are
 > 2 times faster then arrays.

1. Try LC 6.5 desktop vs LC 9 desktop: how does that fare? And maybe LC
9 desktop vs LC 9 server? I would like to distinguish LC 6/9 from LC
desktop/server. Apples to apples testing, then conclusions are possible.

2. Sample code stack would be great.

Mark T.:

 > I wrote a stack that demonstrated this and other concepts for
 > LC Mark directly. His Global talks called ‘Optimizing Your Code’
 > are partially based on some things we have been discussing.

Optimizing our code is a good thing, and something I am paranoid about
and specialize in helping people with. Optimizing LC's own code is also
a good thing, and really the bigger question here perhaps for this thread!

So...I'll be quietly following this thread. No time to participate yet,
but will later.

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development