Android compass question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Aug 13 16:24:15 EDT 2018

On 8/11/18 3:34 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> I have a new galaxy phone. When I read the mobile compass, both magnetic heading and true heading constantly change - even if the phone is laying down still. It changes up and down randomly by 5 degrees or so. Does anyone know if this is a problem with LC or with galaxy phones? My iPhone does not do this.

My Galaxy S5 does the same thing with a LC compass I made. My guess is
that's the way Android reads GPS data. When it tries to find my house,
it does a whole bunch of hops around the circumference before settling
down on the center, and even then it still twitches as it tries for more
accuracy.

A compass I downloaded from the Play Store does not do that on my Pixel.
I'd guess that the app is doing some rounding to the nearest integer,
since it doesn't display fractional values.

Try downloading a few of the dozens of compasses on the Play Store and
see how they behave. It may be that LC is actually more precise than you
want it to be. I do know that LC is only reporting what the OS tells it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com